My Photo
Name:
Location: Humboldt County, California, United States

Monday, August 29, 2005

Just when I thought I was over the hump with the possibility of getting sick, I get a fever. Friday night at about 10:30 pm. The ER doctor was pretty insistent that I could be treated at Dickinson Co. Hospital here in town. He obviously talked my doctor in Marshfield into me staying here. Let me tell you, it sure was a lot less stressful. There wasn't a four hour drive in the middle of the night. As it was, I got to my room in the IM hospital at about 3am after tests and all that stuff was over. I was really hungry so Mom and I had cheerios with bananas and milk before she went home for the night. I got blood sent down from Marquette just for me in the middle of the night. I felt bad about that, I probably pulled some poor guy out of his bed in the middle of the night just for me, but I didn't have a choice and after all it IS his job. The next morning I was pretty tired and slept thru the doctor's visit. She said I looked pale and groggy. Well no kidding, I had only 4 hours of sleep when she came and had gotten doped up on Benadryl before I got blood so I was still high off that. Who wouldn't be sleepy. Sarah came to visit that afternoon. We had planned on going to lunch on Sunday and I didn't know when I'd get out, so she came to visit instead. Dad kept me company later in the afternoon when Mom and Chris went to church. We played skipbo. I love that game. I kicked some major daddy ass too! He only won one game, I won three. Dad ate my hospital dinner. The lunch from the hospital wasn't too bad when I was eating it but I got a really bad stomachache awhile after I finished. EWWW.. I'll stick to the cheerios I think. After church, Mom brought in pizza and breadsticks from Little Caesars. It was good. Dad ate half of a pizza just after he had my hospital tray. He really is going to eat himself to death. Mom and I think he should go to the doctor and get a physical every year, but he refuses. His motto is "If I don't go to the doctor, there's nothing wrong with me". He's got high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and he's got something wrong with his head too (I think it's more than just getting old--but that's a story for a different time.).He needs to see a doctor, but he'll probably wait until he has a heart attack before he goes to a doctor--but by then it may be too late. Chris stayed with me for awhile after dinner and then it was about time for bed. Its nice that the nurses left me alone a lot of the time during the night. I had just one nurse that covered everything (instead of two in Mfld.) and she took vitals and hung drugs all at the same time instead of two seperate interruptions. Also, I didn't get maintainance fluids because I convinced my nurse I'd only look sicker if I didn't eat. I don't like to eat when I get IV fluids because I don't get hungry and I just feel bloated. So she took me off of them if I promised I'd drink something. It was nice not being hooked up to a pole all day and peeing every hour because I got soooo much sugar water. I got released on Sunday morning. Dr. came in bring and early and my nurse saw her walking across the parking lot and came to warn me to look alert. :) So I bit my lip (little trick I use to get my lips nice and red again and I don't look so pale). It seemed to do the trick because I got out that morning. YAY!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home