Today I went to the “Look Good, Feel Better” program. It’s basically a program for women that provides make-up and wig tips to newly diagnosed cancer patients. Tips like buying a wig and buying products with sun block and alcohol-free things. There were two patients there: myself and another woman who had just recently started her chemo. She was just starting to lose her hair. I could tell because she looked to me like she had a full head of hair but was constantly picking them off her shirt. She had a good time trying on the new makeup and skin products (they gave us a ton of top of the line cosmetics—but no Mary Kay though, Jenna). Then the lady putting it on brought out the wig books and the color samples. The woman tried on a wig and was seemingly okay with everything until she started picking out her color. Her eyes welled up and for a moment I connected with her. I knew exactly how that felt—picking out a wig and the color and having it all hit you at once. First chemo isn’t bad, first few hairs gone, not bad, but trying to think of yourself with no hair is pretty devastating when it finally does hit you. I felt really bad for her, because I know what its like, but I also knew that there wasn’t much I could do to make her feel better. Its something every woman has to accept on her own account. I think that was the most beneficial part of my experience---talking a little with her about that kind of stuff since I am, unfortunately an expert in chemo now. Not the makeup. The lady putting the program on had to show me what each of the cosmetics are. Since I never have worn makeup before, she had to talk me through everything. As I was putting things on, she was like you don’t need that … your skin is perfect. So what the heck do I need all this for? Heheh… nothing luckily, but its still nice to hear a compliment now and again. And for someone to say I have great skin when I feel absolutely washed out from chemo and low hemoglobin levels, that’s REALLY saying something. I was pretty psyched with the fun purplish red lipstick I got though. It’s a fun color. I think maybe that’s all I’ll use---and the Biore cleansing washcloths. I told Matt about my lipstick on the phone tonight. He asked me, “You aren’t going to wear that when I’m around are you?” He’s never seen me in makeup and is really against change. He doesn’t like when I wear my wig because he says he doesn’t recognize me. Lipstick won’t make me look any different. Maybe he’s afraid he’ll get some purple-ness on his cheeks from my lips. Heheheh…. I also tried on this long movie-star wig. It was pretty fun. I looked like Jessica Simpson. It was a little too pricey (as well as too glam) for me. I’m one of those plain-jane kind of girls. I have to admit I am getting a bit girlier (gasp!). I’m addicted to Cosmo and Elimidate. I own retro purple sunglasses…. The list goes on.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home