My Photo
Name:
Location: Humboldt County, California, United States

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Today was pretty busy. I didn't even get time to nap. It was filled with stuff at the Clinic, shopping, food, and music. I had radiation, blood lab, and physical therapy--all done before 10:30. By the time I got back, I was a pretty hungry little Karen. Lunch was shrimp stir fry and then we went shopping. I had my second concert with the Marshfield band. I wish the two younger kids wouldn't play so loud. I feel like I'm not really contributing unless I can hear myself a little bit, but when they blast, I hear them--that's it. My little sax pal, Kathy, ( I remembered her name this time) is a pretty shy player but she's better than the two blasting kids. One of them is the director's son so I know he thinks he's the shit...at least that's my theory. Even though I don't feel like I'm making a difference, I must be. The director came up to me and said he's heard great things about my playing from the other saxophone players (meaning : his wife the bari player) and thinks I should be put on first part. But I kind of disagree on that. I think that community bands should be based on seniority. I'd hate to be a 40 year old with arthritis and have a kid take my position. Plus, the younger kids on second part need some sort of direction. I do miss it being a challenge. First part is always more challenging than second. Not that I think I'm the shit or anything, but I am clearly the best alto player they have, but that's what majoring in music for a year will do to you. You live with your sax attached to your face, you better get damn good. If you don't, then maybe its time to rethink the career choice. I guess what I'm saying is: I'm glad that I really do make a difference being there, and its always nice to get a compliment. Especially after having my arm totally anihilated and being able to pick up not far from where I left off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home