My Photo
Name:
Location: Humboldt County, California, United States

Saturday, June 04, 2005

I ended up in the hospital in Marshfield on Thursday. It all started with a fever at 3:30AM. I was FREEZING and it woke me up. A summer night with 70 degree temps and I couldn't manage to get warm enough, something had to be wrong. I had no other symptoms---just a fever. By 10AM, I was in the doctor's office in Kingsford. After talking with my doctor in Marshfield, they thought it was best for me to take advantage of the Northwoods Airlifeline service. Its a volunteer organization that transports patients in need of urgent care to bigger and better hospitals than little DCH. Emily made the trip with me. We flew in this little tiny plane that had only four or so seats in it. I remember going down the runway thinking it felt like we were in a car. Dr. Whitehead was our pilot. It sure was nice to get there in an hour and a half instead of four hours. I had planned to call a cab to get to the hospital from the airport, but there was an ambulance there waiting for me. I really didn't think my situation was that urgent, but I didn't argue and hoped the insurance would pick up the tab. They didn't turn on the siren and lights like I hoped they would, but it was interesting anyways. The doctors can never seem to figure out what type of infection caused my fever. This time, I didn't have any symptoms at all--- no aches and pains. Just a fever. So I was pumped full of antibiotics and sent home. Matt came down to stay with me in the hospital. It was nice. We played a lot of cards, did a puzzle and watched some TV. I wish we could've had a normal weekend at home together, but having him there definitely made such a soon return to the hospital a little easier to bear.

I decided it was better not to make the trip downstate for Jason and Andrea's wedding. Its something I had been looking forward to doing since I started all these treatments. But I know with what has happened this past week, I shouldn't go for a number of reasons: 1. my body won't be able to take a 20+ hour car trip in just a few days; 2. half of those hours in the car will be on the day before my next chemo and first radiation treatment; 3. between Norway City Band and proctoring for the ACTs, I'll make some much needed cash. It really does suck that I can't go but I think this is probably the best decision where my health is concerned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home