I made a new friend yesterday. His name is Don. He's from Phillips and has cancer too.. he sits in the family/visitor lounge all day putting together jigsaw puzzles. It sure passes the time well. I played the piano in the visitor lounge this morning. Dr.McM came in with one of the resident doctors and had a huuuuuuuge smile on his face seeing me play the piano. I felt kind of embarassed. With my arm impairment, I can't play nearly as well as I had before and I feel inadequate since I broke my arm. Just before surgery, I got back to playing most of the normal stuff from the pre-injury era.
---
I asked about the reasoning behind cutting down the number of treatments. Dr. McM said that he doesn't say its a good idea, but he doesn't think its a bad idea. His opinion was obviously scientific. There has never been a clinical trial regarding the number of treatments. They've always done 14 rounds. He said that a lot of people get fed up with chemo and end up stopping a few rounds early. I don't know what I do want to do yet. I'll wait until I can no longer stand it at all anymore, and maybe at that point it'll be at 11 or 12 and I'll tell myself... "karen, you can do it. You made it this far, keep going." We'll see.
---
I got my stitches out It hurt pretty badly in my hip but I could only feel a few in my arm because its still so swollen. That's a good thing too. The nurse that took my stitches out said I said I set a new record for the number of stitches in one arm. Dr. L was pretty impressed with me. He said as far as cancer treatment has gone (surgery and chemo) everything looks good and I'm headed for remission and most likely, a cure. He also complimented on how well I have taken things. He also said I'm a lot better than a bunch of his patients. They try to find ways out of things and cut corners and don't do what the doctor recommended.
---
I found out that I'm going to start radiation in six weeks. The same time I start my next round of 2 day chemo. Radiation lasts for 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week, for 5 or 6 weeks. So pretty much, after Jason and Andrea's wedding, I will be living in Marshfield for a big chunk of the summer.. It really bums me out. Matt moved to Marquette for the summer to be near to me, and now I'm going to be gone. Gaylord (his original plan to do the internship at) is 5 1/2 hours away from Iron Mountain. Now Marshfield is the same distance from Marquette 5 1/2 hours. This sucks. I'll probably be back home for the weekends and he could drive down to Iron Mountain to see me. Hopefully we can work things out with that.
---
I asked about the reasoning behind cutting down the number of treatments. Dr. McM said that he doesn't say its a good idea, but he doesn't think its a bad idea. His opinion was obviously scientific. There has never been a clinical trial regarding the number of treatments. They've always done 14 rounds. He said that a lot of people get fed up with chemo and end up stopping a few rounds early. I don't know what I do want to do yet. I'll wait until I can no longer stand it at all anymore, and maybe at that point it'll be at 11 or 12 and I'll tell myself... "karen, you can do it. You made it this far, keep going." We'll see.
---
I got my stitches out It hurt pretty badly in my hip but I could only feel a few in my arm because its still so swollen. That's a good thing too. The nurse that took my stitches out said I said I set a new record for the number of stitches in one arm. Dr. L was pretty impressed with me. He said as far as cancer treatment has gone (surgery and chemo) everything looks good and I'm headed for remission and most likely, a cure. He also complimented on how well I have taken things. He also said I'm a lot better than a bunch of his patients. They try to find ways out of things and cut corners and don't do what the doctor recommended.
---
I found out that I'm going to start radiation in six weeks. The same time I start my next round of 2 day chemo. Radiation lasts for 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week, for 5 or 6 weeks. So pretty much, after Jason and Andrea's wedding, I will be living in Marshfield for a big chunk of the summer.. It really bums me out. Matt moved to Marquette for the summer to be near to me, and now I'm going to be gone. Gaylord (his original plan to do the internship at) is 5 1/2 hours away from Iron Mountain. Now Marshfield is the same distance from Marquette 5 1/2 hours. This sucks. I'll probably be back home for the weekends and he could drive down to Iron Mountain to see me. Hopefully we can work things out with that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home